This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Being taxed on a savings account that I didnt setup

doomed
Being taxed on an Escrow account which i didnt setup

Postby doomed » Tue May 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi,

A few years ago I put a 20k deposit on an off plan apartment in Cyprus. The bank, developer and lawyer had a very good relationship and sorted out everything for me. However, I never correctly appointed my lawyer as my power of attorney. My lawyer successfully applied for a mortgage on my behalf and setup and escrow account to pay the developer from and certain stages of the development.
We (2000 investors) had no ideas that these loan were setup and did not understand how as it was never explained to us.
Several years later a lot more fraud etc has been found and everyone has walked away from their investments - a lot of legal action is currently underway.
The problem is the escrow account have been earning tax, and even though none of us have access to them or authorised them, the Inland Revenue now want their cut. We explained our situation but the IR are insistent that we pay the 1000s in tax.
Has anyone ever experienced such a situation and does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Generix

Re: Being taxed on a savings account that I didnt setup

Postby Generix » Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Am I to understand the overseas escrow account has been earning interest and the UK authorities want the tax on this?
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

doomed

Re: Being taxed on a savings account that I didnt setup

Postby doomed » Tue May 15, 2012 1:01 pm

That is correct. However, we don't have access to this account and we've all walked away from the investment.
When the mortgage was setup. 2 accounts were created - one loan account and one escrow. The loan account has been charging us interest and the escrow has been earning interest.

doomed

Re: Being taxed on an Escrow account which i didnt setup

Postby doomed » Tue May 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi Generix,

You are absolutely correct.

Thanks

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”