This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

No return filed for 05 HMRC passed to DCA

rainbowhunter
No return filed for 05 HMRC passed to DCA

Postby rainbowhunter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Would appreciate any help or advice.

I left the UK in 04 but apparently the HMRC weren't informed until 05 and in my absence sent a tax form out.This was never eceived nor completed.
I have recently had a demand by them sending letters via a friend...great friend who never bothered to tell me that they were from HMRC.

They have started proceedings via a devt collection agency called fredricksons...I've alread read reports on these unfriendly,unhelpful and seems unpleasant lot.

Question is...I now owe £1740 and want to pay the bill,I have always paid my tax.Can I go directly back to the HMRC and ask for a payment plan of say 4 x £450 to clear the debt...
Is this feasible?

I really don't want to get involved with the collection agency..i have the details of the HMRC office and officer involved.

Thanks for looking and any advice in advance.

pawncob

Re: No return filed for 05 HMRC passed to DCA

Postby pawncob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I didn't think HMRC used DCAs ( and certainly not ones like Fredricksons!)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/fo ... ss-details

You should always deal directly with HMRC. Do not accept any substitutes. Phone them and make an offer.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

mullet

Re: No return filed for 05 HMRC passed to DCA

Postby mullet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 pm

HMRC do use third party debt collectors, mainly for smaller debts. Rumour is that they are not very effective.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”