This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Enquiry into tax return - bad timing!!

alpech

Postby alpech » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:33 am

Today I have received a 'lovely' letter from the Inland Revenue informing me that they are to investigate my 2003 tax return. I am about to start maternity leave in the next 3 weeks and really don't need this at the present time. Does anyone know if this could be put on hold or if I could find out if I have been chosen at random and if so if there is any chance of 'getting out of it' so to speak. I'm not worried about the content of my return but I am worried at how much this investigation will cost me in accountants fees when I am about to take maternity leave and have very little money. I am a very small business with a net profit of only £11,000 - I really don't want to spend all my maternity leave and spare cash sorting this out.

Hope you can help.

A very stressed, very pregnant lady!!

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:56 am

Unfortunately once started a Revenue enquiry rolls on and cannot be postponed, but if you are happy wiht it and your accountant knows what he/she is doing then there should not be too much grief.

The Revenue will not tell you whether the selection is random, but in fact there are very few random enquiries (and for random enquiries they are particularly required to carry them through to the bitter end).

If you or your accountant wants any advice on this contact me on simon.sweetman@btinternet.com (you can look at my website at www.simonsweetman.co.uk)

hermit

Postby hermit » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:36 am

I think the previous reply is perhaps a little pessimistic. Tax Offices are encouraged to take a "flexible approach" -- have a look at the Revenue website www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk and then to Practitioner Zone (on right side) , then to Manuals and have a look at the instructions to
local offices at EM 1580 (EM means Enquiry Manual).
Note the reference to "incapacitated in circumstances which will prevent compliance within 30 days" -- covers you, I would have thought.
Suggest you explain your problem in a polite but firm manner-- you will not be able to get the enquiry cancelled but it is not in IR's interest to be seen to be acting harshly to "unfit " (I use the word without offence!) customers.
Good luck

alpech

Postby alpech » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. After a very stressful week I have managed to get all my information together and sent it to my accountant. In an ideal world I would like it all done and dusted before my baby is due in a few weeks time but I think I may be a bit optimistic!!! I hope they will look favourably on my co-operation and give us a quick conclusion as requested by my accountant! Yes optimistic again!!! I'm hoping they are just looking to clarify a few points rather than the full investigaton as hopefully this would be quicker. Saying that I think the hard work is done now and I am much more relaxed about it, until the acccountant bill arrives!!!!

Once again thanks

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”