This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax credit enquirey ?

keving
tax credit enquirey ?

Postby keving » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm

had a letter just before xmas advising me that hmrc ( spoilt xmas thanks very much ! ) ( tax credit working/child ) would like to look at my tax credits ? a specific set of dates covering 3 months only out of this on going tax year was asked for , along with details of receipts for materials , diary of work , income , employees , vehicle details including v5 & insurance certificates ( why ? ) and the usual bank accounts etc seems like a snapshot of the year am i correct ? but how can a general gross income for the year be attained over a 3 month picture as the working year fluctuates so wildly with income/materials etc is this normal practice never heard of it before cant see anything on this or other forums ,i had a full blowen tax investigation about 4 years ago ! nothing substantial found and a small payment was made by myself . will this have any bearing on whats happened now ? some items seem very specific ? any comments appreciated .

jamesgaston

Re: tax credit enquirey ?

Postby jamesgaston » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Doesn't seems like much of the problem and You should carry on generally. If they send some notification You should go and clear out the payments and receipts wherever it they are asking for.
http://www.quotemeaprice.com/annuity/

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Seems quite strange - would need to read the opening letter to know more, but they cannot really base anything off 3 months worth of records. Are you sure this isn't a records check being done remotely?

Sounds a bit like a fishing expedition.

The alternative is that they are looking for a specific job which they know you got paid in cash and seeing whether you recorded it.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

keving

Postby keving » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:07 pm

thanks for your reply , i received a short sharp letter back saying " thanks for your help no further action is required " here is all your stuff back my nice neat invoices in order all jumbled up bunged in a envelope but all sorted now nice ! dont know what sparked it or havent heard of any one else having it done to them !

keving

Postby keving » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 pm

by the way whats a record check ?

Tim Kitchen

Postby Tim Kitchen » Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Not a big problem at all. Just tell and clear all the things whenever they call you. Give all the information in the straight way whatever they ask. Don’t worry about it. Just do one thing also, that you should consult an expert.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”