This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HELP - not paid tax for a year & 6 month

awebster12
HELP - not paid tax for a year & 6 month

Postby awebster12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 am

Please help me! :( :( :(

When I left university I was unable to find a job so signed up for JSA for a period of about 6-8 weeks. after that I got a job in telesales in a small company. I was so happy to of found work it didn't occur to me that the usual protocall or taking NI number etc was not done, I worked in the company for about 5-6 month earning about £500 per month at which point a moved to a similar company offering more money. In this position I was the only administrator/hr/accounts person in the company. I was informed at this point that I was now 'self employed' I had never been self employed before and had assumed (very naively!) that all tax and NI contributions would be sorted by my employers. I earned around 1,500 per month at this job (£18,000 pa) which I worked at from Feb 2012 until Feb 2013. During this period I was told to set up a limited company in my name which I did but had all earning paid into my own personal account. :oops:

I am no longer at this job as I wanted to find a proper secure and properly run company to work in - but in the meantime I need to go back to claiming JSA it is my understanding that as I have not paid any NI I wont be eligible for this? I have started my JSA claim but now I am worried that once they delve into my contributions and see my bank statements questions will be asked about my lack of tax contributions. I am also very worried about the fact I have never declared myself self employed, what sanctions and fines may be around the corner waiting for me. I just want to get back into a normal PAYE job so I can put this nightmare behind me. I am losing sleep over this and have a meeting to discuss my JSA claim tomorrow should I attend or is this opening a can of worms??? :?

Please be kind enough to respond as soon as you can?

A Webster.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”