This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Aspects of my tax return investigated!

kirsty007
Aspects of my tax return investigated!

Postby kirsty007 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:12 am

I would be grateful for some advice on how to proceed with a letter stating aspects of my tax return received by HMRC march 21 2012, for tax year ending 2011 please?
Is it too late for this investigation?
I have a property with a largish expense bill that year due to refurbishing the bathroom but I have moved to the US and don't have any paper receipts as several of my boxes went missing in transit. They also want to check fees/commission based income. I don't know what this means!
Should I get a professional in from the start or should I attempt to communicate with HMRC myself? They want a phone call by 22nd april but I only received the letter today.

robbob

Re: Aspects of my tax return investigated!

Postby robbob » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:38 am

Hello kirsty

You will need to provide adequate information (1) convincing hmrc you have spent the money (2) detailing what the expenditure is for - so hmrc can confirm a tax deduction is appropriate - or the income is taxed in the correct manner (eg land and property income and not self employed income)

So if i was hmrc i would expect you to go go back to the suppliers and get copy invoices for larger payments - for smaller amounts proof of funds leaving your bank may suffice if it is reasonably certain what the expense is for. Ideally you don't want to give the impression your record keeping may be inadequate so ideally make your best efforts to get reasonable documentation in relation to everything they ask for - where info is lacking for genuine reasons explain why - leaving the country is at least an reasonable explanation if perhaps not a reasonable excuse in hmrc's viewpoint.

Professional advise should be sort if you start to get out of your depth - E.g. you think you may have made some incorrect treatment of items claimed or you think hmrc are overstepping the mark with their interpretation of items or attitude - feel free to post back here if you think any hmrc requests are unreasonable.

If the return was filed on time and no amendments have been made then its normally (but not always) a 12 month window unless hmrc come across information that suggests your return is wrong.
See link for details if your return was files late.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/sammanual/sam31100.htm

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”