This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Visit by Data Handling Experts

Milbo
Visit by Data Handling Experts

Postby Milbo » Fri May 31, 2013 10:28 am

I have an on-going enquiry into a convenience store.

HMRC have examined the client's analysed records and produced revised takings figures which we disputed and found to be incorrect.

They have since examined a sample of the till rolls and now want to visit the client's premises with two Data Handling expert.

I have not been to a visit where Data Handling experts have attended and wondered whether anyone has any experience of a visit of this kind and can offer any advice.

Many thanks,

wamstax

Re: Visit by Data Handling Experts

Postby wamstax » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Be very careful here..... what are they going to examine? If your client has a till then they will interrogate the till - if he has a computerised records system they will potentially try and download all the information held on the system.

If you would like to have a chat please feel free to call on 07751720507
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:46 pm

If your client has a till then they will interrogate the till
Can the till plead the 5th? :)

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:18 am

To Robbob

You mean you haven't seen these data handlers interrogating a till...... You haven't lived and no the 5th doesn't work. These Data handlers are can turn the screw in places you wouldn't imagine.

LOL

Milbo

Postby Milbo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks all, the visit took place last week.

In advance of the visit I was able to agree with HMRC, via e-mail therefore documented, the information which they were going to extract from the systems.

HMRC have not at any time suggested that there are unrecorded takings, just confusion how the client manually records the figures on a spread sheet from which the accounts are produced. I believe the visit has clarified matters and will enable the enquiry to be brought to a quicker conclusion.

I would however think twice about agreeing to data handlers examine the tills of a 'less reliable' client. Having chatted to the guys, I believe that they probably know more about till systems than the manufacturers themselves. They were impressive!

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:12 am

I am afraid that you won't have any option but to agree to a till examination if HMRC can put up the case for it and the secret is to examine the till yourself before they get there!!!

Ok pleased that you were able to deal with matters and sorry I wasn't on the site before your visit. Never mind alls well that ends well

Milbo

Postby Milbo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am

No problem wamstax, I appreciated your offer to discuss the visit.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”