This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC sent Tax Return for prior year

hsodhih@yahoo.co.uk
HMRC sent Tax Return for prior year

Postby hsodhih@yahoo.co.uk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi All,

I have a client who started self employment on 10/4/12.
His tax return has been filed for tax year 2012/13.

After couple of months of filing the 2012/13 return, the client received penalty notice of £100 for late filing of 2011/12 return.
Client does not recall receiving notice to file 2011/12 return.
When checking online, the 2011/12 tax return was issued by HMRC (in July 2013) after the 2012/13 return was filed.

The client has told me that he had no income for 2011/12.
I can go ahead and file the 2011/12 return based on what the client is telling me but I don't know if the client is hiding something and WHY WOULD HMRC issue tax return for 2011/12 in July 2013?

Any suggestion please?
Read more at http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/clie ... mx76S4o.99

robbob

Re: HMRC sent Tax Return for prior year

Postby robbob » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:06 pm

If there was no requirement to do a return and there is no genuine reason why the return issued - then if you ring hmrc they will likely cancel the return if you confirm the questions required to confirm no return was needed. They have a tendancy to issue returns a year early and i am not sure if this is simply their incompetence or whether there is an element of they are in doubt do one year before notified just in case the person may have had some income.

Taxationuk

Re: HMRC sent Tax Return for prior year

Postby Taxationuk » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 am

Agree with Robbob, was the start date of the Self Employment correctly stated on the Tax Return for 2013?, as if it was not included properly this can sometimes instigate the issuing of a prior year return.
[b]Terry Hodge[/b]
Head of Tax

[b]Taxation UK Accountancy Ltd[/b]
email: th@taxationuk.com
tel: 0800 690 6537

[url]http://www.taxationuk.com[/url]

Self Assessment Tax Returns from just £90 per annum.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”