This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

quick, possibly stupid question.

Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:52 pm

quick, possibly stupid question.

Postby keaton » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I've read hmrc can go back 6 years in a investigation, but what if the business has only been running 2 years? Are you expected to keep household receipts and such for years prior to the business starting up.
Sounds like a stupid question but I'd appreciate any input.

Posts: 1869
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Operate Nationally but based in Aberdeen

Re: quick, possibly stupid question.

Postby wamstax » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:34 pm

The period that HMRC can go back will depend on a number of circumstances.

For example if you had no previous tax history before you commenced your business or you were an employee with no scope for being involved in tax evasion then HMRC would not consider going back earlier than the day you started in business.

If however you were an employee and had scope for tax evading activities such as doing jobs on the side or cash in hand then of course HMRC might consider looking at your financial position for up to 12 months before you commenced your business if for example they saw your tax evasion as being "deliberate". Remember you could have evaded tax by omitting taxed income from any tax return and your income was such that you fell into the higher tax rate brackets.

Inevitably there can never be any hard and fast rule as it will depend on both your tax evasion that is discovered and/or the tax official that takes up your enquiry
regards and hope this helps
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact can be obtained from website

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”