This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

what expenses for a subbie

Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:21 am

what expenses for a subbie

Postby griffin41 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:18 am

:evil: hi
iv been doing my self assessment now since 2009 and thought it easy but now hmrc want to do a compliance cheque and now im messing my self as I think iv under paid- I work in construction driving tower cranes so I don't know what expenses I can justifiably claim back without going over the top or just making me brake even would be fine. I tend to work for one company and I get one job or site each year which works well for me, they deduct 20% each week but this year I find I owe hmrc - every one else gets about a grand back but I cant see why or how. work is getting further from home and this year iv paid out £5500 in diesel and its just not worth it = after fuel and tax then NICs - it works out that if you only do a 45 hour week and get say £450 then remove £120 tax and you still get NICs to pay, then fuel each week of £125 then pack up at £20 a week. that's £265 gone just like that. im of the mind just to get an accountant next year. im a real stress head this week. what on earth do others claim for.

Posts: 1504
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Re: what expenses for a subbie

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm

There are issues with your post other than the deductibility or otherwise of expenses.
You should instruct a local accountant to assist you in the enquiry.

section 44
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Re: what expenses for a subbie

Postby section 44 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

If you are self-employed then you can claim a deduction for revenue expenses that are incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of your trade.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”