This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Change by HMRC to Reason for Enquiry

Cornwall
Change by HMRC to Reason for Enquiry

Postby Cornwall » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: Change by HMRC to Reason for Enquiry
by Cornwall on Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Dear Wamstax
Many thanks for your reply.
I have NOT complied with any information requested by the Inspector I have only ever told him that he is outwith the enquiry window. As the matter revolves around PAYE I cannot see how any information would not have been available prior to the enquiry window being closed. His gripe would appear to be that I have treated the compensation sum as tax free, clearly entered onto the Tax Return.
He raised an Assessment when he first opened the enquiry, which I appealed against (just in case)in my second letter asking him to either provide the information which he believes became available after the time limit, or close the enquiry.
The discussion with the Tax Office regarding the repayment went into each detail (box) entered onto the Tax Return and why this was done. When I reminded the Tax Officer about this he stated that he felt it was not an 'enquiry' into the return as it was not carried out by a high enough Tax Officer, I stated that I would have not known the Officers qualifications and it is irrelevant.
My last reply to him was 17th December (faxed) and I did not receive any further communication until 20th February when he decided that he had a right to open the enquiry under 'careless behaviour'. ??? This is my sticking block, I still feel that he is not entitled to open an enquiry at this stage??? Am I right. This revised reason being even later than the original.
Many thanks
Scot
Read more at http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/chan ... RjR0r9Z.99

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”