This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Investigation details expenses claimed

El 1
Investigation details expenses claimed

Postby El 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Hello,
Hmrc are looking into my 2014-15 tax return as I didn't declare £39 interest of which I had already paid £9 tax in my savings account. I mistakingly thought I had a tax free isa not a savings account, which I explained to them, but never less had to send them all my accounts bank statements etc for that year.
They have now come back and asked a few extra questions.
I am a freelance makeup artist and hair stylist.
part of my work involves teaching on a makeup course, this is on a freelance contractor rate and is sporadic depending on demand throughout the year.
About a fifth of my work.
I have claimed my travel to and from this place of work, as it is not a permanent regular job, and i need to bring equipment (my makeup kit) with me which is heavy and requires taxis sometimes?
I do paper work /research etc from home, but otherwise my place of work is not fixed,I work in many different studios etc , except those days where I do teach, but as I said I still need to bring my kit with me and am a freelancer there.

Any other general advice regarding anyone's experience being investigated much appreciated
I would love to speak to an advisor, thanks :shock:

pawncob

Re: Investigation details expenses claimed

Postby pawncob » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:55 pm

And your question is?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Re: Investigation details expenses claimed

Postby bd6759 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Travel to a regular place of work might not fall within the terms of allowable travel. 1/5th of your work could mean one day a week, which might make it regular and predicatable. As with everything to do with tax, it all depends on fact and degree. Draw up a summary showing how varied and unpredicable your travel is.

HMRC may want to argue that your teaching business is separate from your make-up/stylng business (hence travel is always to the same place). You will need to show that the two are interconnected and one is just an extension of the other.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”