This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax evasion

pistolpete

Postby pistolpete » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:33 am

We have emigrated to NZ and will have tax bills in the UK. To be blunt, we could do with the money here and don't want to pay any more tax in the UK. What is the IR likely to do if our dates come and go and no return is filed or tax paid? What can it do?

Graham1

Postby Graham1 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:35 am

About ten years ago while working in Saudi Arabia a colleague was in a similar situation to yourselves. The tax man eventually found him, although he worked for a Saudi company, and 'somehow' got the money deducted from his salary, they were kind in taking instalments for a couple of years.

One would assume the UK – NZ ‘revenue’ relationship is much stronger.

kirstie.williamson@a

Postby kirstie.williamson@a » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:34 am

It's what extradition treaties were invented for.

You are basically committing a crime and if that crime is punishable by a custodial sentence of more than one year under NZ law then then UK can apply for extradition and indeeed have just done so for an errant UK non-taxpayer in Spain.

You could also face arrest on any return trips to the UK ( eg to visit family).

I think you have to ask yourself whether it is worth the risk.

pistolpete

Postby pistolpete » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi Kirstie - do you have experience/knowledge of this area?

A query - Spain is within the EU, NZ isn't - doesn't this make a big difference?

And a point- we are talking mainly about capital gains tax, a tax that doesn't exist in NZ (so it is hard to see how avoiding it would be a crime in NZ) and had we sold our business after we left the country, then even the UK wouldn't have applied it or if we had been 50 - it isn't levied if you are of retiring age.

So, we are being stung for a technicality - its a bummer.

shelly888

Postby shelly888 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:26 am

i need help, a few people i know are tax dodging and i need to know how to tell someone about this anonomously?and what can the consequences be for these people if they are caught?

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”