This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PAYE Tax Underpayment

Ping Pong
PAYE Tax Underpayment

Postby Ping Pong » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:33 pm

(PAYE) Tax underpayment
Can I claim that HMRC have acted unreasonably as I'm PAYE and believed all my tax affairs were in order and receive some tax concession on the tax underpayment.
Here goes: HMRC have year on year since 2012/13 rolled over all my tax underpayments into the following year until they took all monies owed in 2016/17 leaving me with a significant bill to pay I have written and complained and they have written to me to apologise and agreed that there was no reason to roll over the tax underpayment year after year as they were aware and recorded by HMRC. They have agreed that the 2012/13 liability falls outside their 4 year rule. They are sending me a cheque for £50 for stress and inconvenience and £15 for out of pocket costs phone call etc
I am PAYE however I was requested to complete an online assessment in 2011/12 only for which I received a rebate.
There was a tax underpayment by their calculation for 2012/13 they wrote and told me that this was to be rolled over to be collected in the following year. They never took the money until they tried in tax year 2016/17 and this by then had timed out.
In 2013/14 there was another underpayment for that year plus the one from the previous year that they hadn't taken, they said this would all be collected the following year, but didn't!
In 2014/15 they wrote and said there was another tax underpayment plus the one from the previous year and the one from the year before that, they wrote to say would now collect the following year but didn't!
2015/16 I was asked to do an online assessment for which I enter the figure for the underpayment they had wrote and told would be collected that year in my tax code. They subsequently wrote to me and said my assessment was incorrect and they had added a lesser figure to the tax to be collected that year, Not the one on my tax code letter and their assessment now showed it has a another large tax underpayment for that 2015/16 and the tax underpayment monies that should have been taken that year would now be rolled over again and now be collected in the 2016/17 tax assessment.
My argument to them is there was no reason for this underpayment to be rolled over year after year (they have written and agreed). Being fully employed over this period I would not have notice these underpayment on my salary however I was made redundant in September 2016 and have not worked since (out of choice) and claiming no pension or benefits. I should add that having rang hmrc 2-3 times a week for 4 months I have now been able to get back a tax overpayment for 2016/17 & 17/18 (redundancy payment). They have deducted the monies I owed them out of this sum.
Thanks

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”