This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I declared too little dividend income in previous tax return...can I declare it now and pay without penalty?

Eck
I declared too little dividend income in previous tax return...can I declare it now and pay without penalty?

Postby Eck » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:44 pm

My affairs haven't been in the best order and our business has now gone bust.

I have had to go thru business records in some detail for the liquidator and realised in doing so that I have not declared the correct dividend amount for the year ended April 16. I declared dividends of 20k when it should have been £40k.

What do i do? Can i let HMRC know and pay the tax that would have been due without penalty? It's surprising to me that they didn't find out and come chasing before now. But in light of all the other disasters happening to me right now I really want to get the personal tax side of things straight.

bd6759

Re: I declared too little dividend income in previous tax return...can I declare it now and pay without penalty?

Postby bd6759 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 pm

You are still within time to amend your 2015-16 tax return. Just do it.

Eck

Re: I declared too little dividend income in previous tax return...can I declare it now and pay without penalty?

Postby Eck » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:44 am

Thank you. How do I amend is it something I can do online myself? I prefer not to have to pay an accountant as money is tight. Thanks

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”