This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

prosecution policy

Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Postby agonyaunt » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:48 am

I have advised a friend to come clean with the taxman as he has undeclared income on a rental property.The problem is this stems over at least 6 years and I reckon he owes them about £3k.the stumbling block is he thinks they will just lock him up and throw away the key!.I have told him to get proffessional advice as I am not an accountant.Does anybody specialise in this area and what would the likely outcome be.Thanks.Agony Aunt.

Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Postby johnfkavanagh » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:40 am

He should certainly declare the income. The Revenue has a policy of selective prosecution and if it were currently fashinable to wear hats, I would certainly eat mine if they even thought about prosecution in your friend's case! They will look for interest and penalties but even these will be less if he makes a voluntary and complete disclosure.

John Kavanagh
UK Tax Consulting Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Tel: 020 7060 1660
Fax: 020 7060 1663
John Kavanagh CTA ATT FRSA
Director, UK Tax Consulting Limited

Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:16 pm

Postby agonyaunt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:15 am

Thanks for the info - I will pass the info on and give him your details. Perhaps he should invest in computer - would it be tax detuctable!!

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”