This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company Liquidation Employee Tax Loss

Cedmo8
Company Liquidation Employee Tax Loss

Postby Cedmo8 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Greetings all,

I have a bit of a predicament that I can’t seem to find any advice on and am hoping someone can shed some light as to my options.

I worked for a company as a PAYE employee (not a director or shareholder) that went bust owing me 4 months’ salary totalling over £10,000, a loan I put into the company of £2,500 as well as £3000 of expenses.

I can claim a small amount of the salary back of the government insolvency fund (less than half the outstanding salary) and I know there are no assets in the company so nothing will come from the liquidation, but I have been told that it would be possible to declare the remainder as a “tax loss” and reclaim my losses that way over time, Is this the case and is there anything that can be done here and if so where do I even start?

bd6759

Re: Company Liquidation Employee Tax Loss

Postby bd6759 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 pm

The expenses can be claimed in your tax return, provided that they were incurred in the performance of your duties. You will not get the expenses reimbursed, but you will get tax relief on the amounts you incurred.

If you have evidence of the loan. you may be able to claim it as a capital loss. This is of little value until you make a capital gain against which you can set the loss.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”