This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I get a partial refund of my over payment to HMRC

Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Can I get a partial refund of my over payment to HMRC

Postby UKtrader » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Hello, I am a sole trader selling different products online with no tax experience, two years ago HMRC contacted me to send them all my takings between 2013-2016 as my turnover was over the threshod and I wasn't registered as VAT business, I was clueless didn't know what is VAT and how it works, I had to pay £30,000.00 +Penalties I made a loss for a period of two years due to my ignorance. Now I want to get back a partial of this payment as I over paid in my self assessment, the amount £30,000 wasn't deducted when I sent my tax return (2013-2014)it was sent as profit, is this means HMRC owes me £8700? £30,000 x 20% = £6000 and £30,000 x 9% (Class 4 NIC)= £2700. £6000 +£2700=£8700. Your helps is very appreciated. Thank you

Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Re: Can I get a partial refund of my over payment to HMRC

Postby SteLacca » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:19 pm

VAT and personal tax are different animals, and one will not mitigate the other.

However, depending on how closely HMRC looked, you may have VAT on outgoings that you can reclaim and can be set against the VAT due (and paid). If you don't understand basic, you should really talk to a professional to assist. You've seen how much it can cost if you don't.

Posts: 1880
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Operate Nationally but based in Aberdeen

Re: Can I get a partial refund of my over payment to HMRC

Postby wamstax » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm

I suppose that what you’re meaning is that for direct tax purposes your accounts reflected your total sales whereas it should have been the sales less VAT and hence your calculation of the repayment.

Having said that you have not reduced your costs for VAT in the same way as you have for sales.

I agree with Stelacca you need a professional because any direct tax overpayment should have been taken into account before you agreed the settlement with HMRC
regards and hope this helps
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact can be obtained from website

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”