This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

proof of return while living abroad

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:21 am

proof of return while living abroad

Postby ad70 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 am

Hi All,
I have an ongoing investigation for self-assessment. For the year in question, I was living abroad although I filed incorrectly to show a return for that year with figures from the next year's return. I had submitted late for 3 years and did all returns at once hence the investigation. I was working as a diver in the North Sea for the year in question and so paid NI contributions. My question is this if I let them know that the return was erroneous and for the actual year in question, I was living in Southern Ireland, will I have to provide a copy of my return to the Irish revenue?
I will have re-submit the 3 years I am guessing as each years return was incorrect due to the figures for each year actually being the figures for the year after.
Thanks in advance

Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:18 am

Re: proof of return while living abroad

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:59 pm

HMRC are obviously trying to determine if you were resident in the UK Your situation is not so straight forward as you were working in the North Sea which could be UK or Non UK

You will likely need to back up all your dates and provide the necessary proof.

I would definitely appoint a tax investigation expert

Kind Regards


Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”