This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Statutory audits + invoices for services from tax haven company

bilderberg
Statutory audits + invoices for services from tax haven company

Postby bilderberg » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:31 am

This question is linked to another question I've asked over on the VAT forum.

Quick bit of background: I work for a UK based VAT registered company with turnover in excess of £10M and therefore subject to statutory annual audit. The company is seeking to engage a marketing consultant to improve the business online marketing, lead generation, website, seo etc. The consultant that has been selected operates from a Seychelles LTD corporate entity, so a business outside the EU would provide services to a UK based business, B2B.

Since the monthly invoices for the consultancy services would come from a non EU domicile that is considered to be a tax haven jurisdiction, does this scenario pose any challenges or red flags with regards to our annual accounts or statutory audit status?

Are there any additional safeguards or steps we should take to ensure transparency and avoid creating any situation that might look suspicious, or potentially trigger our auditors, or set off a tax investigation of any sort?

wamstax

Re: Statutory audits + invoices for services from tax haven company

Postby wamstax » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Anything to do with opaque tax havens can put up a red flag. It would be impossible here to consider all the angles and just because there is a Seychelles 🇸🇨 connection doesn’t necessarily mean that you are dealing with a Seychelles entity. The fact you need to think about it tells a lot.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

bilderberg

Re: Statutory audits + invoices for services from tax haven company

Postby bilderberg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:15 am

It wasn't entirely the tax haven status that was causing pause, our accountant doesnt seem to have much experience dealing with non-EU service invoices full stop, he's concerned about dealing with a US LLC entity as well which is not a tax haven by any means; the statutory audit aspect seems to be making everyone jittery about raising a flag simply for paying service invoices outside the EU - I dont really understand why but I am not an accountant and dont really know much at all about why a statutory audit should make things so difficult, but I am trying to accommodate their concerns hence why I thought to try asking for guidance amongst my better informed peers here :D

I dont necessarily see the problem if its a deal being made with a corporate entity for a clearly stipulated contract with performance measures that can be demonstrably proven as met. It makes sense to me that an individual consultant who lives overseas would prefer to use a low tax company - Gibraltar, Guernsey and Hong Kong all have minimal tax for offshore income, surely this in itself isnt something that would make an auditor throw a wobbly? :?

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”