This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Not paid tax or filed tax return in 20 years. Help!

someone
Re: Not paid tax or filed tax return in 20 years. Help!

Postby someone » Fri May 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Isn't this the 'you must fill in the pages on a tax return if you do one'/'you must do a tax return' question again?

I ran into similar when I sold a property not completely covered by PPR. There was no tax due. As far as I could see, I had to put it on my SA because HMRC had asked me to do one but had I not had to do one I wouldn't have had to tell HMRC about the sale.

Their checkers aren't always clear whether they're saying 'you must fill in these pages on your SA if you do one' or 'you must do an SA and fill in these pages'

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:08 am

@bd6759

Per HMRC:

You must report it on a Self Assessment tax return if it’s:
•£2,500 to £9,999 after allowable expenses
•£10,000 or more before allowable expenses
That’s HMRC’s criteria for giving notice.

The law - s8TMA 1970 - requires HMRC to give notice.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm

@JHolm: I recommend not trusting HMRC on this, but rather take a look at TMA 1970 S.7 and S.8, which is what the law says. You will find what the law says is very different than what HMRC says, and the law trumps HMRC every day of the week.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”