This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

letter about foreign income and gains

hamburglar0_0
Re: letter about foreign income and gains

Postby hamburglar0_0 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:08 pm

I've just a similar situation i.e. both my wife and I just received a letter from HMRC with the same declaration.

I've contacted HMRC and they say it relates to the 16/17 return and is due to info provided by the Irish goverment.

Neither my wife nor I believe we've had any Irish investments,money held in Irish bank accounts or had any Irish assets?? I've also looked back through bank statements and can't see any money coming in from any Irish source???

Looking through the posts here - is it best for me to write back saying similar or to ignore? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: letter about foreign income and gains

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:49 pm

I would write back and tell them - and ask for more information as there appears to be incorrect data.

As others have said, you are not under any obligation to sign the declaration or even reply but ignoring it is unlikely to make it go away.

Incidentally, quite a few retail funds are domiciled in Eire, particularly ETFs, so if you have had any funds (even within ISAs) that could potentially be the culprit.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”