This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Penalties issued by HMRC on investigation

Yiannis17
Penalties issued by HMRC on investigation

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am

Morning

I have an case here with a new client who disposed of a fixed asset and made no declaration to HMRC. He has never completed tax returns in the past, and did not seek any professional advise when the disposal happened. HMRC therefore issued a penalty of deliberate as opposed to carelessness which is what we were arguing for. The tax liability has been agreed.

Now HMRC has issued their notice of assessment with a fixed due date of one month from the date of the assessment demanding for the tax otherwise a 5% surcharge will be imposed. Suffice to say interest has already been running here.

My question is, can HMRC do this. The chances of any tax being paid by my client within a few weeks are impossible. Any why the additional 5% surcharge?

pawncob

Re: Penalties issued by HMRC on investigation

Postby pawncob » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 pm

The due date is now. They give you 30 days to pay, after which (as with all taxes) a surcharge is applied.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

SteLacca

Re: Penalties issued by HMRC on investigation

Postby SteLacca » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:12 pm

I'm not clear what assessment you refer to. Given the preamble in your question, is it a penalty assessment or a tax assessment? If the latter, then as pawncob says. If the former, is there an open appeal?

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”