This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help - Friend in trouble with HMRC

wamstax
Re: Help - Friend in trouble with HMRC

Postby wamstax » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm

Unfortunately the time without action will not sound the death knell for the investigation once it is up and running as HMRC have management functions in place to ensure that enquiry cases do not slip through the net.

There has been a temporary suspension of enquiry work while the Covid pandemic has been locking everything down but I understand that the resources temporarily allocated elsewhere will be back on the trail of the deliberate tax evaders. Additionally it is quite possible that the silence is down to her enquiry being referred elsewhere in HMRC for review for criminal investigation and once the fetters are off HMRC will be back on the trail.

Let's hope she changes her tune and attitude to this enquiry before it is too late.... she should keep on worrying about the outcome but given the timescale over which this has been going on I doubt she has any problem in ignoring it...
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:16 pm

Adding to the doom, your friend needs to be aware that tax evasion is a crime. If she has bought her house and cars with the proceeds of a crime (and the proceeds are the undeclared earnings, not just the tax that has been evaded) these will be confiscated under the proceeds of crime act -the reason being to prevent a person from benefitting from crime.

It is quite clear from her apparent wealth that there has been significant evasion. She would be advised to listen to the advice given on this forum, and get help before it is too late. Wamstax has his phone number in his signature.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi bd6759 -
Thanks for the referral BUT really this is not the type of client I would want to help or take on without a real and serious change of attitude (and an appreciation of the seriousness and potential criminal investigation if she continues to deny the reality). I fear that the risk is that she couldn't resist the temptation of not telling all and then that would result in just a further potential escalation of matters. I enjoy my life/work balance too much to waste it on anybody that has denied irregularities when they are evidenced (probably) and given the time that she has imitated the ostrich up to now.

You are quite right of course regarding the risk in relation to her assets if she is found guilty of moneylaundering/tax evasion with proceeds of crime attention in the future.

Its a shame that she has such a good friend who tries to help BUT she doesn't seem to want to listen to common sense.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 pm

Bill
I think that making the phone call will be hardest thing for her to do. Getting her to do that is the start.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 pm

Yes Bd6759 you are absolutely correct and of course it would have to be her that made the contact as the money laundering ID check etc would not be of any use with her friend. I'm always prepared to help someone as long as they want to help themselves AND ME and do things correctly.

We may never know

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:49 pm

HMRC can take a year to write a letter even in normal times...

JimLittle

Postby JimLittle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 pm

Your friend is being naive. HMRC will not let forget about it, once things get back to normal they will be after your friend.

Average investigation takes 16 months and is ongoing could take much longer. HMRC have actually bolster their resources for tax enquires. Yes HMRC investigation teams are probably looking into furlough and loans fraud at the moment.

Some useful advice has been provided. Your friend needs to appoint a tax investigation accountant otherwise the consequences can be devastating.

J20x

Postby J20x » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:32 pm

So, it's almost the end of the year and yet still no more follow-up from HMRC... surely it's case closed time?

HMRC must be so busy with the extended furlough scheme etc. to follow up on this type of case.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”