This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Discovery assessment/enquiry question

Samson22
Re: Discovery assessment/enquiry question

Postby Samson22 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:10 am

COP9 means civil settlement and immunity from prosecution. I am afraid that you are trying to understand different procedures that take usually years of training and experience to understand both their interaction or stand alone qualities.

Maybe you should enrol with a tax course and you’ll manage to appreciate it is not appropriate to compare the initial COP9 procedures with the issue of discovery assessments
I might just do that! Any particular one you would suggest?

Hope you don't mind me asking more questions in the meantime?

Is the public defaulters list civil or criminal prosecutions or a mix of both?

Above what amount tax wise (if not the penalties +interest) does it become it criminal not civil? Or is the length of time more relevant?

Is it sometimes not amount just non declaration of any income/(relevant tax)?

Seems very much a hit and miss at times hence first question. A fisherman was criminally prosecuted for at little as £40k or so. Only reason for that one went criminal I can think is he created a scheme to avoid national insurance. yet Seems cases of higher amounts not going criminal hence only thing i could think of was the national insurance

No cooperation also has a baring I think from some that came to be criminal prosecutions

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”