This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Last year's self assessment check

timtom
Last year's self assessment check

Postby timtom » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:48 am

Hi, I have received a letter asking to help HMRC do a check on last year's self assessment. I believe everything was OK with the assessment, which was submitted by my accountant. I am winding down to retirement so not a lot of transactions to report and only small turnover. It says I do not have to help them with this check, do I have to help HMRC? What happens if i dont help HMRC? If I do help would I have to resend information about property purchases that I supplied about 8 years ago during a full investigation, or will they still have that information on file. My previous investigation , which lasted 2 years and was very in depth only found that i had underpaid tax by approx £700.00 over 10 years due to mis information to me by my previous accountant.
Regards Tim.

robbob

Re: Last year's self assessment check

Postby robbob » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:09 am

You haven't really gievn any info as to what exactly the issue is here so its hard to add any useful comments.

What are their specific questions ?

I would default to the viewpoint that your acountant will be on the ball and sort/advise as necessary -albeit if it was me i would ensure this is the case specificllly requesting that accountant update when they have reponsed - you don't want there to be delays you are not aware of - so if reponse deadline is nearing ensure acountant is chased.
PS - no one other than you is reponsible for the contents of the return so i would recommend checking to see if you think everything is in order - if the letter doesnt make any sense it may simply be a technical processing issue that your acountant can hopefully resolve.

I would be very wary about hmrcs ability to do anythinh right when it comes to looking at and checking and correcting returns for "obvious errors" - IMHO they are more likley to presume something perfectly correct as an "obvious error" and go of on tangent unfortuantely.

timtom

Postby timtom » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for your reply, there are no specific issues, it is a just a "check"of last years self assessment they ask me if i think everything on the assesment is correct, which i think it is. They also ask for details of any property I own , date bought , how they were financed etc. I do own property which is rented out and included in my assessment but these were bought 20 years ago and all relevant details supplied to HMRC during the investigation about 8 years ago. I do not have all that information any longer.
Regards Tim Patrick

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:33 pm

I do not have all that information any longer.
I hope you do. It is essential for calculating CGT when you dispose of them.

Are HMRC checking your return, or have they simply asked you if you are sure it is correct? There is a big difference. The wording of the first paragraph of their letter will tell you.

timtom

Postby timtom » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:56 am

Hi bd6759, thanks for your reply. They are asking if my return is correct.
Regards Tim

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:29 pm

If they haven’t said that they think it is wrong because xxx, or we are checking your return under section 9a, then there is nothing for you to do if you believe that the return is correct.

They can’t ask you to provide information unless they are checking your return, either under s9a or, if they are too late for 9a, because they have reason to believe tax is unpaid. In each case they need to tell you.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:30 pm

If they haven’t said that they think it is wrong because xxx, or we are checking your return under section 9a, then there is nothing for you to do if you believe that the return is correct.

They can’t ask you to provide information unless they are checking your return, either under s9a or, if they are too late for 9a, because they have reason to believe tax is unpaid. In each case they need to tell you.

timtom

Postby timtom » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:26 pm

Hi bd6759, thanks again. So, should I just reply saying my assessment is correct and leave it at that?
Regards Tim .

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:55 pm

That depends on the precise wording of their letter. If it is just a “nudge” letter asking you to make sure, then that is all you need to do.

timtom

Postby timtom » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:40 pm

Hi bd6759, could i send a photo of the letter to you, after Christmas, for you to give your opinion.?
Regards Tim .

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”