This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Offshore tax demand

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Postby siwes » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:33 pm

I work in the offshore industry on a FPSO , I work for a foreign company and for the period in question I was working in Brasil, 6 weeks rota. My bank deals with all my tax returns. for the years 2001 2002 and 2003 I received confirmation from the Inland revenue that I was tax exempt on the information that was supplied.
A new tax inspector has now stated that they had made a mistake that my information supplied was correct but I am now liable for three years back tax.
If I had been informed after the first year of submission that a FPSO was no longer classed as a ship and I was now liable for uk tax then I could have easily stayed out the country to apply for the 90 day rule as my company is based abroad.
Do I have a case to appeal against this claim as the inland revenue admit that it was their mistake .

Posts: 1187
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Postby Taxbar » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:22 am

You need specific professional advice.

If you have acted in reliance on a mistake by the Revenue and you have disclosed all the details to them in your tax return, then there maybe a case to appeal against this new Inspectors approach.
You may also have a case against your UK tax advisers.

Daniel Feingold

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”