This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I re-open a closed year?

D Sum
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Postby D Sum » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:32 am

Under self-assessment - if there has been an enquiry into a tax year, and then:

a) We agreed the tax treatment, but later I spot that CGT losses b/f haven't been properly entered. Can I re-open that year/submit the amendment?

b) If again the treatment is agreed but I wish to make an EIS Defferal relief claim - can I re-open that year to make the claim?

c) If no to both - is there any circumstance where a closed year can be re-opened?

Thanks in advance for any reponses!

Kind regards


Simon Sweetman
Posts: 1690
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Postby Simon Sweetman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:30 pm

Where there has been an enquiry and a contract settlement you cannot normally reopen that year. However both the matters you refer to are CGT matters and will not affect the income tax position anyway.

You have three years to make a CGT deferral claim, so that may be possible.

D Sum
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Postby D Sum » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:30 am

Thank you for your reply Simon

Do you have any legislative sources that could support your first sentance?

Kind regards


Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”