This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

A Full Monty - Probably

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:28 pm

Postby sapier » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:50 pm


Well, after running two companies between 1996 and 2000, I left the country in September 2000 and arrived back in May 2004. I didn't pay my accountants when i left in September. for company 2, company 1 was wound down after my first girlfriend and I broke up in 1998. I was happily married in September 2000, and promply moved to luxembourg the following July.

My wife had a kid (not mine i later found), and 2 others, after a nasty fight, I end up with all 3 kids and back in England. At the same time I have a hefty mortgage on a house I'd bought as an investment, and am renting in surrey. Although I'm earning good money, I am totally broke at the same time. What with having 2 au-pairs and kids in school, 1 mortgage, 1 rental, and still paying my separated wife a monthly rate.

And of course, I have a tax investigation for years 1998-2001. i'm expecting a bill somewhere around £50k. I'm too scared to open the letters, my old accountant wants £3000 to finish off the accounts, and I have £0 savings. And am saving £0.00 money. The investment cannot be developed, so I cannot sell it to recover. If I sell it, I have a deficit with the mortgage company.

I feel between a rock and a hard place. What do I do?

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”