This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

enquiry coming to an unfair conclusion.

antdurks

Postby antdurks » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:56 am

Hello,my case has been summerised "without prejudice" and the taxman is claiming I have taken 14K more than i have claimed, in my Cafe, in the Enquiry year and a further 12k and 10k in the previous 2 years, but I haven't understated my takings by a penny. If I dispute will my penalties increase also are the IR negotiable on these first figures? Thanks if anyone can advise

johnfkavanagh

Postby johnfkavanagh » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:31 am

Do you have a professional adviser? If not, I seriously suggest that you appoint one. This kind of enquiry is always settled by negotiation and not having a suitably qualified and experienced adviser to deal with these negotiations on your behalf is likely to be a costly mistake.

John Kavanagh
UK Tax Consulting Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
www.uktaxconsulting.co.uk
mail@uktaxconsulting.com
Tel: 020 7060 1660
Fax: 020 7060 1663
John Kavanagh CTA ATT FRSA
Director, UK Tax Consulting Limited

antdurks

Postby antdurks » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:13 pm

Thankyou, yes i have my accountant who has been with me but he is very old and just now had a serious operation so he's off for a long time.So the first figures that are proposed are always negotiable? I needed alternative advice before I write a personal letter to the IR.Thanks once again

johnfkavanagh

Postby johnfkavanagh » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:41 pm

With all due respect, it sounds as though your accountant is not going to be able to help you with this at the moment - obviosuly through no fault of his own. Assuming that he is a memeber of one of the recognised professional bodies, he should have made arrangements for another practitioner to look after his workload while he is indisposed. You certainly need professional advice and dealing with this matter on your own is not a good idea at all.

John Kavanagh
UK Tax Consulting Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
www.uktaxconsulting.co.uk
mail@uktaxconsulting.com
Tel: 020 7060 1660
Fax: 020 7060 1663
John Kavanagh CTA ATT FRSA
Director, UK Tax Consulting Limited

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:40 pm

I agree with John. You are best advised to appoint an experienced professional to negotiate on your behalf.

Ramnik

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:09 am

Since the Penalties and Interest are geared to the extra tax (allegedly) owing, it is very important to mimimise any "extra" profits.

How did the IR calculate the extra tax? Did they sit in your cafe on a representative day(s)? Did they use some theoretical business model better suited to the Cafe Royale? Did they say that dozens of your family & friends ate there for free?

As others have said, get Professional advice asap - as this forum can only answer in ver general terms.

antdurks

Postby antdurks » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:06 am

Thankyou for all the advice.

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”