This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax enquiry - filing date

Betty Let

Postby Betty Let » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:45 am

I have just received a tax enquiry for the last years tax return, year ended 5 April 2004.

I filed my tax return on 30th September 2004 and received my self-assessment account by the beginning of January 2005.

Are the tax office still in time to launch a tax enquiry into last year's tax return?

They are asking for copies of receipts and invoices, all of which I produced on 27th September 2004 at my meeting with a tax inspector who went through them all and agreed all the figures on the tax return before I submitted it. Unfortunately, the Inland Revenune never answered my letter to them, so I have nothing from them in writing.....

Do I have to photocopy EVERYTHING or can I arrange a meeting at my local tax office were I can once again show them all the receipts and invoices. It will take an age to photocopy everything!

I have rental property and manage all my own tax affairs and I am really worried about all this. I am also rather annoyed as they are asking for information that I presented them with last year!

Can I handle this on my own or do I need to go to the expense of employing a professional?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Betty

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:19 am

DO NOT attempt to handle this on your own. Take advice.

If the Revenue helped you fill in your return, I am afraid that is irrelevant : they will not have kept any note of what you said then and the return is your responsibility.

If you want to ring me on 01394 274857 I can advise you about how to find someone to help.

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:45 am

In answer to your original question, the enquiry window is open until 31st January 2006 so they are still in time to open an enquiry.

If you are going to submit the records yourself you could either hand-deliver them to your local office and get a receipt or send the original information by special delivery. I certainly wouldn't photocopy everything.

Again, if you are going to handle the enquiry yourself then write a covering letter explaining in as much detail as possible that you were helped by a tax inspector, including his name if you have it.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”