This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is this legal - rental property

chris1r

Postby chris1r » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:13 am

I have recently moved to and started working the country. At this time I am renting a property in North London. I am aware that the property owner recently purchased the property I am living in and that my family is the first they have let a property to.

My query relates to the landlord and his family having their mail sent to my address. The landlord has had ample time to change address and continues to ask that we collect and pass the mail on in person. I have noticed that some of the letters have been from inland revenue.

Is my landlord committing a fraudulant act and am I assisting. In Australia (my home country) I am aware that fraudsters set up fake addresses for tax purposes by way of claiming home owner grants when they do not live at the property.

I do not wish to assist my landlord in committing a fraudulant act and was wondering firstly if there is an offence possibly being committed and if so what authority should I make further inquiries with.

Regards
Chris

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:26 am

He may acting fraudulently; he may not. He may just not have wanted to pay for mail redirection. Unfortunately it can take ages for a public body to amend all of their address records. We rented to a firm which moved out three years ago who I know advised everyone they thought would write of their change of address. We still receive correspondence from them from official bodies where someone pulls out an old address. It is perfectly possible that he has told the Inland Revenue of his address change but that not everyone in the Inland Revenue has acted on it.

If the amount of mail you receive doesn't start to decline after about six months you could report it to the National Criminal Intelligence Service (NCIS) and let them decide.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”