This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Revenue fishing expedition??

BryanS

Postby BryanS » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:57 am

The Revenue are enquiring into our accounts (husband and wife limited company). The Inspector says that as we have paid some company expenses from our own funds he wants to see all our personal bank account statements. Is this right? If a director or employee of a non-husband and wife company paid expenses from their own funds on behalf of their employer surely the Revenue would not be able to ask for their bank statements. We have nothing to hide but why should we have to show ours?

ad

Postby ad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:04 am

In my opinion this doesnt sound correct to me. I would in the first instance ask them which specific transactions relating to the business they would like to see, or send copies of personal statements with only the relevant entries shown - ie blank out the rest.

If they are fishing - they will ask for more details.

Someone on this site will correct me if they do not agree.

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:33 am

There was a similar discussion to this on AccountingWeb recently.

Take a look at the following link:

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... rmat=%o-%B

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

HMIT

Postby HMIT » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:53 pm

The fact is this:

The company has received funds. What the taxman wants to know is "does this relate to business income, or is it really "capital introduced"?"

One way, possibly the only way, of proving that it is capital introduced is to produce evidence in the form of bank statements showing the introduction.

Of course, you could refuse and the old taxman could treat it as business income and tax it accordingly.

deanshepherd

Postby deanshepherd » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:09 pm

The company has not received any 'funds' as far as I can see from the information given by the original poster.

The directors have paid for company expenses from their own resources for which I assume they have the invoices to back up the amounts claimed.

I believe this is over-zealous behaviour by the inspector.

Dean Shepherd
dean.shepherd@mmi-online.co.uk
MMI Accountancy
www.mmi-online.co.uk

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”