This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Family home for 28 years yet Grandfather keeps the deeds.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Postby cathyuk » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:55 am

My Father passed away 4 years ago after living in a house with land that he found with the family building business and divided into flats and built 2 houses on. My Grandfather took all the money from the sales. And never declaired the dirty dealing he done. My Father purchased One flat from his father in 1976 and he paid 7 thousand pounds, when i was three years of age and my brother was just born. This transaction took place after they were in the family business together, my Father gave cash for the property to my Grandfather and due to family breakdown or more to do fact that the bussiness went bankrupt we never saw the deeds from my Grandfather. But nor did we pay any rent. We payed ground rent for a time i do remember. My Mother lives in the flat with her new partner and everything is great. My brother has even moved back in so that he can save to buy his own place. But now Mum wants to make her will.
We have had little contact with my Granparents over the last 15 years or more ever since my Dad asked for the deeds to the flat infact, and do not wish to take my Grandparents to court but it is looking as though we may have to get somthing sorted out. Will my Mum lose the flat it is now worth 200 thousand and she is so worried the situation makes it impossible for her to make her will out as she is not sure that she has anything to leave. Will there be any stake for myself and my brother. My Mothers Partner is absolutly great and has kept his own house on so there are no problems there.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:24 pm

Postby JasonButcher » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:38 am

I think you need to consult with a solicitor on this one as it is more a legal problem then a tax one

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”