This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Random Tax Enquiries

leighc

Postby leighc » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:45 pm

My mother has been advised by her accountant that random tax enquiries are becoming more common resulting in "innocent tax payers being forced to pay tax that is not due, as they are unable to justify the cost of defending themselves". How common are these enquiries? She is now really worried about huge accountants' bills if she is the subject of an enquiry. What sort of things would the Revenue be likely to ask & is it something we could sort out ourselves (if it happens)? The accountants file her tax returns each year, for which she posts them all the relevant statements etc. She has several pensions & supplements her income from savings. Her tax liability is currently in the region of £1,200 pa. Are these enqiries really "random"? (Am hoping there is someone who can answer the above over the Christmas break as would like to discuss this with my mother asap).

Many thanks in advance.
Leigh

jpcentral

Postby jpcentral » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:28 am

Your mother's accountant isn't trying to sell her insurance by any chance?

The Revenue's computer system is becoming more and more sophisticated so a large number of enquiries result from anomolies spotted by the computer.

There are more 'random' enquiries but if your mother's tax return is as straightforward as you say, I can't see that an enquiry should be a problem. Nothing seems to be possible to dispute; she will have received full documentary proof of all of her income and won't be claiming any expenses. Presumably she can account for all transactions into and out of her bank.

I would tell her not to worry (unless she's not declaring something) and have a relaxing Christmas.

John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
www.centralbusiness.co.uk
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

leighc

Postby leighc » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:06 am

Thank you so much John. The accountant is offering a "gold service" - an annual set fee in addition to existing charges - which in effect would I guess be insurance against extra expenses incurred in any investigation. I tend to agree with you that if any investigation should arise, we would be able to deal with it ourselves if necessary. The trouble is, particulary with an "older" person, once the seed of doubt has been sown ....!
Thanks again for your advice & a prosperous New Year to you!
Leigh

Return to “Tax Investigations and Enquiries”