This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How is tax on UK Unit Trust Interest Calculated

robertiac1
How is tax on UK Unit Trust Interest Calculated

Postby robertiac1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:57 pm

I am looking at a consolidated tax certificate from Investec from the share portfolio of a deceased estate, trying to make sense of an IR185 form, and one of the entries on the Investec certificate is UK Unit Trust Int, with the figures Gross = 573.07 Income Tax = 76.28 Net Amount/Dividend =496.79.

I thought interest was taxed at 20% which would be 144.61 so I am puzzled by by the 76.28 figure. I would be grateful for an explaination. Also as this is not savings income, on the IR185 would this go in box 18 Dividend income afer that taken off?

A supplementary question is that there is an entry Overseas Dividends Gross= 328.25, Income tax = 0 Net Amount/Dividend = 328.25. But there is not a box for Overseas Dividends, so where does this go? Apologies if this is in the wrong forum for these questions.

welshtrustees

Re: How is tax on UK Unit Trust Interest Calculated

Postby welshtrustees » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:20 am

Possibly the consolidation includes some bonds or bond funds that pay interest gross and some net of tax and so this is a blended number. Interest, as opposed to dividends, from funds is saving interest and goes in box 17. Foreign dividends go in box 18 where it says "dividends from Foreign Companies that do not qualify for UK tax credit". UK Dividends go in box 21.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”