This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Being rejected by banks for current accounts :-( Not on electoral roll according to credit file. Help!

businesstax
Being rejected by banks for current accounts :-( Not on electoral roll according to credit file. Help!

Postby businesstax » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 pm

I requested my credit file from Experian and it states I am not on the electoral roll: "No Electoral Roll Information available from the addresses provided".

I registered to be on the Electoral Roll a few months ago. This was confirmed to me by my local authority and I also received a voting card for the last general election.

Therefore this has shocked me.

I have been applying for bank current accounts over the last few weeks and, disappointingly, been rejected by all of them. I am already in a weaker position than most people as I have a non UK passport, not even an EU one, and mine is from a country which many financial institutions classify as a 'high risk' one. And then to also mark me as not being on the electoral roll would be another negative when banks check my credit record.

I had some questions please:

- if Experian say I'm not on the electoral roll, is it likely the two other credit reference agencies will state the same thing as well?

- what could have gone wrong?

- how long does it normally take for the records of the credit reference agencies to be updated about somebody being on a local authority's database?

- how may I get this rectified please? How long does it take for the credit records to be corrected?

- last, but not least, is it worth me applying to more banks? Or should I wait until the records are updated, even if it takes a few months? How fussy are banks about somebody being on the electoral roll please?

Thanks a lot in advance for the advice.

bd6759

Re: Being rejected by banks for current accounts :-( Not on electoral roll according to credit file. Help!

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:00 am

You can tell Experian to correct their record if it is wrong. They are legally obliged to do this.

section 44

Re: Being rejected by banks for current accounts :-( Not on electoral roll according to credit file. Help!

Postby section 44 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:24 pm

- last, but not least, is it worth me applying to more banks? Or should I wait until the records are updated, even if it takes a few months?
If the rejections show up on your credit report then probably better to prioritise getting that update first.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”