This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension value confusion

rjj2015
Pension value confusion

Postby rjj2015 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Apologies as this is not strictly a tax related question, but you lot are certainly smart enough to answer my question I hope !
I have been paying into a new pension scheme for just over a year now (final salary closed last year) and have received my annual statement.
It tells me that my estimated pension at 65 (I'm 45 now) will be £4000.

My confusion lies in the fact that the payments into this scheme are just under £6000 a year (company matches my payment) so why are we paying £6000 a year for a £4000 annual return.

I know life expectancy is taken into account, but over 20 years this still seems to be a waste of money

Am I missing something here...

LozaACCS

Re: Pension value confusion

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:40 pm

It does not seem right

Your defined benefits scheme has been replaced by a money purchase scheme.
It may either be a separate scheme or the values in the old scheme may be transferred to the new scheme.

Assuming the new scheme is a stand alone scheme then you will be investing 6K per year for 20 years.
Ignoring the tax relief on your contributions and assuming a modest growth of 2.5% pa the capital value would be app 165K on retirement.
The yields on single life annuities are currently app 5.7%
So the annual income would be 9.5K (taxable) even on this glum prognosis.
I would ask a local financial adviser to have a look at it.

King_Maker

Re: Pension value confusion

Postby King_Maker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:07 am

I agree with Loza - I would recommend asking your IFA to review the matter.

Although current annuity rates for a 65 year old are ~ 5.7% on a single life basis, a joint life(50%) with 3% escalation are nearer 3.6%.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”