This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Employed. What are my Earnings?

ManyQuestions
Self Employed. What are my Earnings?

Postby ManyQuestions » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi, I have considerable savings which I would now like to start paying into a SIPP. I understand that I can pay in up to my earnings to get tax relief, and I know that the earnings figure excludes investment income and rent. Here is my question: I am self employed. I calculate my earnings when I prepare accounts, so the number might not be clear until a year or more after the mount is actually earned. This figure goes up and down significantly from year to year. So what figure do I use to decide how much I can pay into a SIPP in any paticular year and be able to claim tax relief?
Thanks

pawncob

Re: Self Employed. What are my Earnings?

Postby pawncob » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:43 pm

I believe you can contribute to a SIPP historically, so you can top up your contribution when the results are known.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

jason13

Re: Self Employed. What are my Earnings?

Postby jason13 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 pm

I believe you can contribute to a SIPP historically, so you can top up your contribution when the results are known.
No, you can only make contributions for the current year.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”