This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension Term Assurance vs LTA

Chisser
Pension Term Assurance vs LTA

Postby Chisser » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Could you help with this question so I know whether or not to apply for IP2014.

I am 51 and have a old pension term life assurance policy to which I have been contributing for more than 20 years i.e. pre 2006. It pays out a benefit of more than £1.4 million but only if I die and there is no other benefit such as a pension. I am given tax relief on the contributions since the policy pre-dates 2006. Does this count towards the new LTA of £1.25M which is being reduced to £1m next April?( If so does it only count if I die?)

If that is the case could this amount be counted for once of the Individual Protections that have existed e.g >£1.5M.

I estimated that my other pensions gave a LTA of between £1M and £1.25M on 1.4.15.

If I got IP14 but then subsequently cancelled my old pension term life assurance policy
because I could no longer afford the premiums would I still have protection to £1.5M?

HMRC and the policy provider seem unable to answer this question.

Thank you.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”