This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Auto-enrolment - unclaimed higher rate relief for prior years

rr296
Auto-enrolment - unclaimed higher rate relief for prior years

Postby rr296 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 am

My wife is a higher rate tax payer but does not file for self-assessment.

Her workplace auto-enrolled her in their pension plan in Aug 2013, with the customary 20% tax relief given at source. She has not claimed the remaining 20% of higher rate relief on this since she was enrolled.

After doing some web research, I understand that it is possible to claim higher rate pension relief for up to the 4 most recent tax years. At this point (Jan 2017) I believe that means from 2012/13 through 2015/16.

I also understand that this can be done either through filing self-assessment, or by writing a letter to HMRC detailing the contributions made and relief due.

Assuming all this is correct, is there a difference between the 2 methods in
(1) how the claim is dealt with under either method - e.g. SA would lead to a cash reimbursement vs. writing a letter leads to an adjustment in tax code?
(2) the timing for submitting the claim - e.g. SA needs to be in by 31 Jan (which will be tight) vs the letter can be submitted until the end of the tax year

Our preferred (simpler) way of dealing with it would be to just write the letter - but I can't seem to find much information online about this so I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience / advice on this.

AmanSood

Re: Auto-enrolment - unclaimed higher rate relief for prior years

Postby AmanSood » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:09 am

I would recommend filing the tax returns for the relevant tax years to claim back the higher rate tax on the pension contributions. From experience, submitting letters is time consuming and letters may get lost in post, not reach the right HMRC officer etc.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”