This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on a Foreign Pension

Cloggy
Tax on a Foreign Pension

Postby Cloggy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm currently retired and in receipt of a full uk pension + a private pension, next year I qualify for a partial Dutch state pension, I know I have to declare it, but how I don't know, is there a special form I can request or do I have to fill in a self assessment form ?.
Any advice would be helpful.

bd6759

Re: Tax on a Foreign Pension

Postby bd6759 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Whether you need to complete a return will depend on the amount, but it is likely that HMRC will want you to self-assess. You will need to tell HMRC when you start to receive the pension.

Note that the reference in the 2017 guidance notes (link above from maths) stating that only 90% of the pension is taxable does not apply any more. The whole of the pension is taxable with effect from 5 April 2017.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”