This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

My previous savings

mkms1981
My previous savings

Postby mkms1981 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:59 am

Hello , I am a doctor , I am from Palestine , I was working in Dubai . I moved recently to UK with my family to work . Now I am working in NHS last one week only . I have about 30,000 GBP money saving in my bank in Dubai . If I want to transfer this amount of money to my bank in UK , will I need to pay tax for this money ?

AGoodman

Re: My previous savings

Postby AGoodman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:49 am

No. You were not UK resident when you earned it so it can never be subject to income/capital gains tax.

The location of money usually makes no difference except in limited circumstances which are unlikely to apply to you.

jason13

Postby jason13 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:32 pm

... but if interest is earned in the bank account in Dubai (since moving to the UK), that has to be declared in the UK.

maths

Postby maths » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:59 pm

Are you UK domiciled or non-UK domiciled?

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”