This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NHS Pension

logistic
NHS Pension

Postby logistic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:34 pm

I have an NHS pension and a SIPP. I have exceeded the current lifetime pension allowance and my NHS pension will be reduced as a result of the lifetime allowance tax charge.

My financial advisor has told me that if I crystallise my SIPP before drawing my NHS pension, the value of the SIPP will not be included in the testing of my lifetime allowance on my NHS pension thereby reducing the lifetime allowance tax charge on my NHS pension.

Is this correct

ben_power

Re: NHS Pension

Postby ben_power » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:39 am

Your financial adviser is 100% incorrect.

If you crystallise your SIPP it will be measured against your LTA and will subsequently utilise a % of the LTA. When you subsequently take the NHS pension it will also be measured against your remaining LTA. Please find a better adviser.

The NHS have connections with professional financial advisers who not only know the NHS pension inside out but can advise on the bigger picture. I know this because I work for them. I won't name the company as I don't want to be promoting a service but you should seek professional advice/guidance.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”