This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Investment flipping with silent partner

JimD7777777
Investment flipping with silent partner

Postby JimD7777777 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I’m a. It of a dummie at this kind of thing, so would appreciate any advice you might offer. Basically, I’m currently scouting for property to buy and flip ( possible build and flip). The finance is being provided by a cash rich , time poor partner. (Business not personal). The profit will be split 50/50. My question is that given my other partner has multiple other revenue e streams, she will be subject to a different Capital Gains rate to me. How do we split the profit derived from this endeavour without her say, for example paying Capital gains, then paying me who would then pay an income tax on top ? That sounds like a double tax to me. By the way I have no other source of income ( currently unemployed). Any help would be appreciated immensely.

AdamS93

Re: Investment flipping with silent partner

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:35 am

Sounds like you're in a partnership.

On the basis of facts provided, any profits made will be subject to income tax not CGT.

Best to get some professional advice around the best way to structure everything.

JimD7777777

Postby JimD7777777 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. All advice gratefully received.

jerome.lane

Postby jerome.lane » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:39 am

Flipping is a trading activity so income tax is more likely to apply. The arrangement you describe is either a joint venture or partnership one. You and your investor can structure projects and/or investment via a corporate entity or even pensions to achieve tax efficiency. It all depends on the long term intentions and how each deal looks. You would benefit from get specific tax advice on each deal as well as legal advice on structuring the deal from a firm like www.navistarlegal.com.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

JimD7777777

Postby JimD7777777 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:23 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I’ll have a look at the firm you suggested.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”