This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation of gains from USA shares

pandora_boite
Taxation of gains from USA shares

Postby pandora_boite » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:24 pm

I am aware that UK individual investors in non-UK funds are taxable on their investment gains in two contrasting ways, at rates of either 20% or 45%. The lower tax rate is only available for proceeds from a fund with UK Reporting status. Proceeds from funds with non-reporting status are treated as income.

Does this apply to shares as well. Say for example someone has bought shares in the USA of USA based companies. (i.e. Not via a fund but by the purchase of company shares like Cisco, Intel, Microsoft etc.). How are these gains taxed when the shares are sold? Are they classed as capital gains or income?

pawncob

Re: Taxation of gains from USA shares

Postby pawncob » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 pm

They're taxed as gains.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

DavidTreitel

Re: Taxation of gains from USA shares

Postby DavidTreitel » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:13 am

But cost and proceeds are converted to Pounds at spot rates for the dates of purchase & sale. This can result in a gain in Pounds and a loss in Dollars or vice versa.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”