This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pension contribution limit calculation

Nimi Jane
Pension contribution limit calculation

Postby Nimi Jane » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi,

I am trying to work out what is the maximum amount I will have to contribute myself (excluding employer contribution) to reach the 40K limit for this year as a higher rate taxpayer.

Does the 40K annual limit to pension contribution, include the employer contribution and/or tax relief for a higher rate taxpayer? And if so does that mean the actual amount I can contribute myself would be 40K minus the (Employer contribution + Tax relief)?

darthblingbling

Re: Pension contribution limit calculation

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:07 pm

It's gross contributions.

Employers, employees, gross contributions to your personal pensions.

If you have any DB pensions it can get a bit tricky.

Nimi Jane

Postby Nimi Jane » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:24 pm

does it also include the tax relief received?

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Yes.

It includes all your 'pension input' which includes gross personal pension contributions, employee contributions and employer contributions.

The annual allowance of £40k may get tapered if your threshold income exceeds £110,000. You can carry forward any unused annual allowances from the previous 3 years if certain conditions are met.

Your best bet it to get professional advice on this matter.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”