This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

ISA or JISA Rules

Jason123456
ISA or JISA Rules

Postby Jason123456 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:30 pm

Can the annual allowance be used with half to purchase equity investments from one platform and the other half to purchase from a different platform,......not exceeding the annual allowance in total?

ben_power

Re: ISA or JISA Rules

Postby ben_power » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:11 pm

ISA rules used to be split into a cash ISA allowance and a separate stock & shares ISA allowance but not anymore.

The rules now stipulate we each have an ISA allowance of £20,000, we can split that however we choose between cash and investments. You can however only utilise 1 cash provider and 1 investment provider in each tax year so for example:

I could put £20,000 into a cash ISA with the Nationwide or £20,000 into a Stocks & Shares ISA with Fidelity or £10,000 each. What you can't do is have 2 Cash ISA providers or 2 Stocks & Shares ISA providers in the same year. This means I couldn't have £10,000 in a Nationwide Cash ISA and £10,000 in a Lloyds Cash ISA just like I couldn't put £10,000 in Fidelity Stocks & Shares ISA and £10,000 into a Hargreaves Lansdown Stocks & Shares ISA.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”