This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax arising from purchase of shares in euro

marinero
tax arising from purchase of shares in euro

Postby marinero » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:50 pm

I am an EU national based in the UK. My savings and investment account is in euro on Interactive Brokers.

Say I bought 1 share for €100 1st of Jan and sold it 1st June months later for the same price (ie no euro profit). Am I still liable for capital gains tax on the value of the currency difference? Ie €100 euro was 80p sterling on 1st jan and €100 is 90p on the 1st of June do I have to pay capital gains (or currency gains) on that 10p?

Please note that the account at my brokers is in euros and at no point did I convert any monies into sterling.

thanks for the help.

maths

Re: tax arising from purchase of shares in euro

Postby maths » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:13 pm

Yes. Capital gains have to be computed in £ whether or not there is any conversion from euros to £ or not.

marinero

Postby marinero » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:00 pm

Sure, I understand that but the shares were bought and sold at the same euro price. Do I have to pay tax for the theoretical profit I made because by base currency is euro? It feels a bit unfair, that's why I am asking. Shares bought for 100 sold for 100 (euro).

marinero

ben_power

Postby ben_power » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:47 pm

The purchase price would be converted into £ and the same for that sale price resulting in a 'gain' and therefore potentially liable to CGT. Whether the gain was generated by capital appreciation or currency is irrelevant. Sorry.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”