This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cryptocurrencies Classification

Netnerd
Cryptocurrencies Classification

Postby Netnerd » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:32 am

Are crypto assets considered savings or investments legally in the UK, I have found a legal document from the Lawtech Delivery Panel classifying them as "Property" and the particular asset I hold has been classified by the UK government as a "Utility Token" but at the same time could they be classified as savings or investments that need to be declared.

I know that when I exchange the assets for currency I need to declare for CGT just not sure if any other declarations need to be made whilst held in digital asset form.

AGoodman

Re: Cryptocurrencies Classification

Postby AGoodman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:24 pm

You don't need to disclose the simple fact that you own them. I cant think of any assets where you need to disclose just the fact that you own it.

You need to disclose if you dispose of a token (e.g. in exchange for currency, another type of token or for a service/goods).

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”